Thursday, June 26, 2008

Rodeo

Wilma here.
My partner tells me there is a thing called "rodeo", where horses can be found doing a lot of running and other things. By that definition, I think the other night we had a "rodeo".

We Friesians were in a new pasture enjoying the tall grass. We were allowed there because we are, of course, very special, and deserve only the best.

As it was getting dark, my partner whistled for me. I always come; I know there is a reason to be whistled in, and I trust my partner's judgement. So I came in and headed for the piles of hay.

Marieh and Emerald had other ideas. They pretended they could not hear, and kept munching grass, even though the yummy hay was right there waiting for them. Silly girls!

Marieh's partner came outside with the "carrot stick" and started herding the girls toward the barn. "Ha ha ha!" they cried, "That won't work today, partner, there are a dozen places to get past you!" And off they went, galloping in the opposite direction.

Well, that was all it took to get the boys going, too. Ernie and Twister started galloping in their pasture. Soon all four horses were galloping every which way, and leading Marieh's partner on a merry chase. What a fun game! My QH friend Willow and I had a great time watching. "Rodeo", indeed!

In a bit the girls slowed down a little, and then they REALLY strutted their stuff. Long trot strides, manes and tails streaming behind them, they looked like a pair of fantasy horses floating through the gathering dusk. They were truly beautiful and mysterious. It made me proud to be a Friesian, and our partners just stood there, enjoying the spectacle.

Eventually, my partner went outside to help Marieh's partner, and soon both the girls were back in the barn with me, enjoying their hay and still giggling about all the fun they had doing "rodeo."

No comments: